A Review: The Fat Mermaid



The Deets:

So I recently found this gem of a restaurant called The Fat Mermaid. A friend of mine recommended a play date there, and honestly in a two week period I’ve been back three times (whaaat!?).

Find it at 4 Jasmine Road, Bedfordview: Open 7.30am – 5.30pm

The road actually looks like a long, pan-handle drive-way (so don’t be alarmed) and it’s in a face-brick house that has been converted. On the same premises you’ll also find a hairdresser (Panthea) and a boutique (because who doesn’t like shopping).

The restaurant boasts an outdoor eating area, as well as an indoor area. There is a pool (with a bar stretching across the width of the pool), with cabana beds that one can lounge on. The pool area is a function area and is closed off to the children unless booked out for them. Think a ‘a day in mykonos’ and you’ll completely understand the venue’s vibe.

The food:

The menu is decidedly Greek, with all of your favourites from traditional Yiros to English farmstyle breakfasts.


The Atmosphere:

Mixed company, housewives and children fill The Fat Mermaid at different times of the day. This makes for a relaxed environment that makes you feel like you’re on holiday. The décor has been beautifully chosen, ensuring a ‘greek feel’, finished off with white-washed beach tables and chairs. Close your eyes and imagine the salty sea air blowing a breeze in.


Cost:

The cost per person can range anywhere from R100.00 to R350.00 depending on what you order. So it can be pretty reasonable depending on what you choose.

The boutique is pretty pricey as a lot of the clothing and accessories are imported, with some of the items actually made on site (those are one-of-a-kind items).


Child Friendly Aspect:

There are two kid friendly areas:

One is outdoors, filled with sand, a push-bike track, slides, jungle gyms and general outdoor fun. So this is ideal for children of walking age and up. With this relaxed kind of atmosphere there are no child minders, so seat yourself close by to keep an eye on your little ones.

The second area is an indoor area. It’s filled with coaches, a television, a brightly coloured sponge floor, and some colourful beanbags. This is ideal if you have a baby that’s crawling (just bring your own toys) as the area is pretty baby-friendly. Alternatively, set your gloomy teenager there in front of the tv (kidding!).

Another consideration is that the restaurant actually doesn’t have any high chairs, so if this is a problem for your little tyke perhaps bring your own, otherwise let them squirm on your lap/ in their own chair until they get into the jungle gym area.
The swimming pool is cornered off, so children can't simply walk there.

My favourites:

My current favourite thing to order here is the Nutella and banana pancake/crepe – seriously it’s to die for. Plus coffee. Always coffee. Because children.




NB: All images taken from the Fat Mermaid Social Media Pages.

Comments

  1. After enjoying a lovely lunch here with friends a few weeks back, I chose this venue for a booking of approx 6/7 tables for a farewell. I had been discussing face to face and via email finer details of the booking. After no response to one email I sent them FB message where Anthea responded and then told me I had to pay R150pp and then my guests will still have to pay for their drinks and food. I told her I am not wanting the whole venue and there would be a load of space for more clients therefore more money. She refused and spoke terribly to me and proceeded to basically tell me I was lying when I informed her of what her staff had discussed with me regarding her liquor license, I have witness to this conversation! The treatment I received from Anthea was very disappointing and I don't recommend anyone to support this establishment as its clearly a hobby and there is no proper customer care!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Husband

A Review: Kidz Fun House